Top Ad unit 728 × 90

Breaking News

Yahoo News

Time magazine rejects Donald Trump's claim he was offered person of the Year award

Time magazine rejects Donald Trump's claim he was offered person of the Year awardDonald Trump has become embroiled in a dispute with Time magazine after claiming he had turned down the chance to be its "person of the year" in 2017. The US president, who won the award in 2016 after his shock election win, said he was approached by the magazine again for this year. But having been told he would only "probably" be selected, he declined the nomination. But within hours the magazine hit back, insisting that that Mr Trump was incorrect. The dispute between the president and the magazine was conducted on Twitter on Friday night. US President-elect Donald Trump poses on the cover of Time Magazine after being named its person of the year in 2016 Credit: Handout/Reuters Mr Trump tweeted: "Time Magazine called to say that I was PROBABLY going to be named 'Man (Person) of the Year,” like last year, but I would have to agree to an interview and a major photo shoot. I said probably is no good and took a pass. Thanks anyway!" The magazine responded. ""The President is incorrect about how we choose Person of the Year. TIME does not comment on our choice until publication, which is December 6."The US president's relationship with the magazine has had some difficulties in the past. Amazing. Not a speck of truth here—Trump tweets he 'took a pass' at being named TIME's person of the year http://ift.tt/2zntTkk Alan Murray (@alansmurray) November 25, 2017 Alan Murray, the magazine's chief content officer, reinforced the point saying there was "not a speck of truth" in what the president had tweeted. Mr Trump's relationship with the magazine has had some difficulties in the past. Time Magazine called to say that I was PROBABLY going to be named “Man (Person) of the Year,” like last year, but I would have to agree to an interview and a major photo shoot. I said probably is no good and took a pass. Thanks anyway!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) November 24, 2017 In June the magazine asked the Trump Organisation to remove a framed front cover featuring the billionaire from several of its golf clubs, after it was found to be fake. The cover, which was dated March 1 2009, had a cover which read: “Donald Trump: The ‘Apprentice’ is a television smash!”, with another headline stating: “TRUMP IS HITTING ON ALL FRONTS . . . EVEN TV!” However it transpired that the cover for March 2009 featured Kate Winslet. The President is incorrect about how we choose Person of the Year. TIME does not comment on our choice until publication, which is December 6.— TIME (@TIME) November 25, 2017 In fact Mr Trump did not appear on the front cover at any time that year. He has also erroneously claimed to hold the record number of cover appearances in a speech in January. It emerged that he had done so on 11 occasions, rather fewer than Richard Nixon's 55.




from Yahoo News - Latest News & Headlines http://ift.tt/2A5pq9e

Time magazine rejects Donald Trump's claim he was offered person of the Year award Reviewed by Unknown on November 26, 2017 Rating: 5

No comments:

All Rights Reserved by New News © 2017 - 2018

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Powered by Blogger.